Why You Should Hire A Personal Injury Attorney For Automobile Accident Injuries
Being involved in an automobile accident can have a traumatic impact on your life, as well as jeopardize your finances. An auto accident occurs every few seconds, fortunately, many of them result in simple fender benders without injury. However, in many situations an auto accident can result in serious, even life-threatening injuries due to the negligence of someone else. If you have been involved in an automobile accident, it may be in your best interest to contact a personal injury attorney who specializes in auto accidents.
Dealing With Insurance Companies
If you are involved in an accident and sustained injuries, it is common for the responsible party's insurance company to try to negotiate the claim for the lowest payment possible. It is important to understand that in many situations, being injured in an accident could result in injuries that don't show up until several years later or you may experience symptoms that originally went unnoticed. Once you agree to the offer presented by the insurance company, you may not be eligible to claim any future compensation for your injuries. A personal injury attorney understands the possibility of this and knows how to negotiate your claim with the insurance companies to include potential future problems.
Common Causes of Accidents Due to Negligence
Some of the most common causes of automobile accidents as a result of negligence include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
- Texting while driving
- Distractions, such as adjusting the radio, the environment or a passenger
The injuries caused by negligent drivers can be serious and life-threatening, which can result in extensive medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering and unfortunately, in many situations, funeral costs. A personal injury attorney is experienced in investigating the accident to determine the cause, interviewing witnesses and if your case goes to court, your attorney will file the required paperwork and represent you throughout the entire court process, all in an effort to help you get compensation for your injuries.
Serious Injuries that can Occur from an Auto Accident
It is important to note contacting a personal injury attorney as soon as possible following the accident will prevent the possibility of you settling with the insurance company for injuries that may potentially affect the rest of your life. Some of the most common serious injuries that can occur during an automobile accident as the result of someone else's negligence may include:
- Head injuries, some of which can lead to long term effects; you may think you're okay, but head injuries can often be difficult to diagnose and the symptoms may not show up until a few days after the accident.
- Neck injuries, including whiplash which is the most common car crash injury that often goes unnoticed until several days later. Whiplash can cause serious damage to your spinal cord, ligaments and/or disks and it can cause damage that is serious enough to cause permanent paralysis.
- Brain injuries are one of the most dangerous injuries that can result from a car crash. Blows to the head can cause traumatic brain injuries which can result in damages ranging from a concussion to death.
- Back pains can last anywhere from a few days to a lifetime.
Automobile accidents can become life altering situations, so it is important that you not attempt to settle the case on your own. Insurance companies have one goal in mind, to settle the claim as quickly as possible and for the least amount possible. A personal injury attorney will fight to help you get the compensation you will need for medications, pain and suffering, lost wages and/or therapy for injuries that instantly show up as well as injuries that may not be immediately apparent.